Accessing the Archive from iOS Based Devices
In addition to the MailStore Client software and MailStore Web Access, MailStore Server also provides access to the archive using an iOS based device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch etc).
There are two ways to access the MailStore archive with your iOS based device:
- Using an Email Client - By adding an additional email account you can access your MailStore archive just like any other email account.
- Using a Web Browser - Using a web browser, navigate to MailStore Mobile Web Access to access your MailStore archive. No further configuration of your iOS based device is needed.
Using the Email Client
To allow access to the MailStore archive using the email client of your iOS based device, the MailStore Server-integrated IMAP server must be activated and configured. This procedure is described in chapter MailStore Server Service Configuration.
Opening an Email Account
- On the start screen of your iOS based device select Settings.
- Select Accounts & Passwords and then Add account.
- Select Other.
- Select Add mail account.
- Fill out the fields Name, Email address, Password and Description and select Next.
- Select IMAP.
- Fill out the fields under Server for incoming emails:
- Host Name: Host name or IP address of your MailStore Server
- User Name: Your MailStore Server user name
- Password: Your MailStore Server password
- Fill out the fields under Server for outgoing emails:
- Host Name: Host name or IP address of your regular SMTP server
- User Name: Your email server user name
- Password: Your email server password
- Select Next.
- Select Save.
Important Notice: By default, the iOS email client uses the same email account for replying to or forwarding an email that the respective email belongs to. As the MailStore IMAP server presents its archives as read-only accounts, replied to or forwarded emails will be sent through the configured SMTP server but cannot be stored in an account's Sent Items folder.
To work around this problem when replying to or forwarding an email, you have to choose an account for sending other than the MailStore archive IMAP account. You can choose an account in the iOS email client by tapping on Cc/Bcc, From: <Sender's email address> and selecting the sending account. The sent email will then be placed in the "Sent Items" folder of that account as expected.
Using a Web Browser
Accessing MailStore Web Access is not much different from accessing other websites using the web browser of your iOS based device.
General use and procedure are described in chapter Accessing the Archive with MailStore Web Access of the MailStore Server manual.