Backup and Restore with Carbonite Server Backup
This article only covers the specifics of creating a consistent backup of a MailStore Server archive with Carbonite Server Backup as well as the restore procedure. Please refer to Backup and Restore for general information about available backup and restore strategies.
The following instructions describe the process of creating consistent backups of a MailStore Server archive with Carbonite Server Backup. It is assumed that you have a MailStore Server installation running that uses locally stored standard archive stores only.
In order to ensure data consistency, the MailStore Server VSS Writer must be activated in the MailStore Server Service Configuration tool.
Creating a New Backup Set
After the MailStore Server VSS Writer has been activated, a new dedicated backup set for MailStore Server can be created. To create a new backup set, please proceed as follows. For general information about creating backups with Carbonite Server Backup please refer to the Carbonite Guide - Creating a Backup Set.
- Start Carbonite Server Backup on the MailStore Server computer.
- Click on Add New Backup Set.
- Click on MailStore'.
- The folders managed by MailStore will be shown. Validate them for correctness.
- Proceed with the backup set creation by adjusting all other settings to your needs.
- Finally enter a name for the new backup set, i.e. MailStore Server Backup.
- Click Save to create the new backup set.
- After saving your backup set, a window will appear giving you the option to run or to schedule an initial full backup.
The instructions below describe how a database backup of the entire email archive, which was previously created using Carbonite Server Backup, can be restored. It is assumed that a fresh installation of MailStore Server is running with no emails archived yet and that Carbonite Server Backup is installed and configured on the MailStore Server computer and all drives are available that were present on the original server.
- Open the MailStore Server Service Configuration. It is is located in the MailStore Server program folder that can be accessed through the Windows Start menu or from the desktop.
- At the bottom of the window, click on Stop Service.
- Now start Carbonite Server Backup.
- Navigate to the Restore tab.
- Select the backup set which contains the backup of the archive.
- Next select a Restore Point.
- In the Edit your restore settings section, change the Restore Folder to a folder, that has enough free space to hold the entire restored archive.
- Click Restore Now to start the restore process.
- Click OK to confirm the Restore Option and wait for it to finish.
- Move the restored files to their original location. Overwrite any existing files.
- Switch back to the MailStore Server Service Configuration.
- If a non-default location (C:\MailArchive) was previously used by MailStore Server, click on Browse... in the Master Database section and select the directory containing the file MailStoreMaster.fdb.
- Click on OK to confirm.
- At the bottom of the window, click on Start Service.