Archiving Emails from Kerio Connect
Please note: This tutorial only covers the specifics of archiving a Kerio Connect server (former Kerio MailServer). It is assumed that you already have a MailStore Server installation or Test installation and are familiar with the fundamentals of MailStore Server. Please refer to the Manual or the Quick Start Guide for more information.
MailStore Server offers several ways to archive emails from a Kerio Connect server which are described below. If you are not sure which archiving method best suits your company, please refer to the chapter Choosing the Right Archiving Strategy.
MailStore Server offers special support for synchronizing users with an Kerio Connect server. Information about setup is available in chapter Kerio Connect Integration of the manual.
Archiving Individual Mailboxes
Using the procedure described below you can archive an individual Kerio Connect mailbox for a specific MailStore user. The archiving process can be executed manually or according to a schedule.
Setup of the Archiving Process
For each mailbox please proceed as follows::
- Unless you want to archive your own mailbox into your personal user archive, please log on as MailStore administrator. Only a MailStore administrator can archive emails for other users.
- Click on Archive Email.
- From the list Email Server under Create Profile select Kerio Connect to create a new archiving profile.
- A wizard opens to help specify the archiving settings.
- Select Single Mailbox.
Archiving Multiple Mailboxes in One Step
When archiving multiple mailboxes, Kerio Connect functions the same as any other email server. Please refer to the corresponding chapter Batch Archiving of IMAP Mailboxes in the MailStore manual.
Hint: If MailStore Server is configured to automatically delete successfully archived emails from the mailboxes and you do not want these emails moved to the "Deleted Items" folder by Kerio Connect, follow the instructions under Permanently Deleting Successfully Archived Emails in the Archiving Incoming and Outgoing Emails Directly section of this document.
Archiving Incoming and Outgoing Emails Directly
The Kerio Connect server offers an easy way to deliver all emails to a Kerio Connect specific archiving mailbox. MailStore Server archives this mailbox by means of an archiving task of type Archiving IMAP and POP3 Multidrop Mailboxes.
Step 1: Setting up a Kerio Connect Archiving Mailbox
- Click on Configuration and then on Archiving and Backup.
- Open the Archiving tab.
- Select the checkbox Enable email archiving.
- Select the checkbox Archive to the remote email address and enter the email address of the archive mailbox (e.g. [email protected]) into the textfield.
- Select all four options under Archive:
- Local messages
- Incoming messages
- Outgoing messages
- Relayed messages
Step 2: Permanently Deleting Successfully Archived Emails
By default, Kerio Connect moves all emails that were deleted through IMAP into the folder Deleted Items. As a result, those emails that were successfully archived and then deleted by MailStore are moved into this folder as well. To eliminate this behavior and remove all archived emails from the archiving mailbox permanently, please follow the steps below:
- In any web browser, open the Kerio Connect Webmail
- Log in as user of the archive mailbox
- Click on User settings
- Open the General tab
- Select the checkbox Delete messages permanently (don’t move them to the Deleted Items folder)"
Step 3: Configuration of MailStore Server
Configure MailStore Server to archive the Kerio Connect archive mailbox in regular intervals (e.g. daily at 11pm) using an archiving taks of type Archiving IMAP and POP3 Multidrop Mailboxes.
After archiving, emails can and should be deleted from the Kerio Connect archive mailbox automatically by MailStore Server. The MailStore Server archiving task can be configured accordingly.