Archiving Emails from SmarterMail
Please note: this tutorial only covers the specifics of archiving an SmarterMail Server. It is assumed that you already have a MailStore Server installation or test installation and are familiar with the fundamentals of MailStore Server. Please refer to the Manual or Quick-Start-Guide for more information.
MailStore Server offers several ways to archive emails from a SmarterMail Server, which are described below. If you are not sure which archiving method best suits your company, please refer to chapter Choosing the Right Archiving Strategy.
Archiving Individual Mailboxes
When archiving individual mailboxes, SmarterMail Server functions the same as any other email server. Please refer to the corresponding chapter Archiving Server Mailboxes in the MailStore Server manual.
Archiving Multiple Mailboxes in one Step
When archiving multiple mailboxes, SmarterMail Server functions the same as any other email server. Please refer to the corresponding chapter Batch Archiving of IMAP Mailboxes in the MailStore Server manual.
Archiving Incoming and Outgoing Emails Directly
You can configure SmarterMail Server to save a copy of every e-mail send and received through the system in an additional mailbox. These e-mails can then be archived with MailStore Server using archiving tasks of type Archiving IMAP and POP3 Multidrop Mailboxes.
Step 1: Configure Mailbox to collect incoming and outgoing e-mails
You setup this mailbox you as follows:
- Logon as Administrator to SmarterMail Server
- In the left Panel choose Settings - Domain Settings - Users
- Now select New to create a new Journaling mailbox. The picture below shows one possible configuration. Please use yourdomain.ext instead smartermail.local as e-mail domain.
- Save your settings
- Logout and logon as administrator (use only username) to SmarterMail Server
- In the left pane select Events - New Event to create an Event to journal incoming e-mails as shown below. Keep in mind to use your actual e-mail domain instead smartermail.local.
- After setting all necessary values, open tab Actions and configure the action as shown below
- Save your settings and create another new event to journal all outgoing e-mails as shown in the following picture. Please use your actual e-mail domain instead smartermail.local
- Finally you have to configure and save an action for this event as shown below.
- Keep in mind that you need to configure these settings adapted to your actual e-mail domain.
Step 2: Configuration of MailStore Server
Configure MailStore Server to archive the data stored in the journal mailbox configured in Step 1 using an archiving task of type Archiving IMAP and POP3 Multidrop Mailboxes.
After archiving, emails can and should be deleted from the journaling mailbox automatically by MailStore Server. The MailStore Server archiving task can be configured accordingly.