Archiving Emails from SmarterMail
Please note: this tutorial only covers the specifics of archiving a SmarterMail Server. It is assumed that you already have a MailStore Server installation or test installation and are familiar with the fundamentals of MailStore Server. Please refer to the Manual or Quick-Start-Guide for more information.
MailStore Server offers several ways to archive emails from a SmarterMail Server, which are described below. If you are not sure which archiving method best suits your company, please refer to the chapter Choosing the Right Archiving Strategy.
Additionally to the internal user databases, SmarterMail may also use LDAP directory services such as Active Directory to manage and authenticate users. As MailStore Server also supports Active Directory and other LDAP directory services (e.g. OpenLDAP), it is recommended to set up synchronization in MailStore as well. Additional information on synchronizing users can be found in the corresponding chapter Active Directory Integration of the MailStore Server manual:
Note: When batch-archiving IMAP mailboxes MailStore Server automatically creates non-existing users. The authentication type of those users will be set to MailStore-integrated.
Archiving Individual Mailboxes
When archiving individual mailboxes, SmarterMail Server functions the same as any other email server. Please refer to the corresponding chapter Archiving Server Mailboxes in the MailStore Server manual.
Archiving Multiple Mailboxes in One Step
When archiving multiple mailboxes, SmarterMail Server functions the same as any other email server. Please refer to the corresponding chapter Batch-archiving IMAP Mailboxes in the MailStore Server manual.
Archiving Incoming and Outgoing Emails Directly
You can configure SmarterMail Server to save a copy of every email sent and received through the system in an additional mailbox. These emails can then be archived with MailStore Server using archiving tasks of the type Archiving IMAP and POP3 Multidrop Mailboxes.
Step 1: Configure the mailbox to collect incoming and outgoing e-mails
Please set up this mailbox - in the following called "journal" - as follows:
- Login to SmarterMail Server by using the administrator's email address.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- In the left panel choose Domain Settings | Users
- Now click on New to create a new user called journal as shown in the screenshot below.
- Save the settings for the new user journal and logout.
- Login as administrator (not the email address) to your SmarterMail server.
- Click on Settings.
- In the left panel select Events | New Event to create an event as shown below to journal all incoming emails.
Enter your local email domain in the field To Domain.
- Give the event a unique name, e.g. Journal Incoming and save the settings.
- Open the Actions-tab and set up an action for the newly created event as shown below.
- Save your settings
- The event Journal Incoming now ensures to save a copy of all incoming messages in the mailbox of the journal user.
- Now create another event (e.g. call it Journal Outgoing) to journal all outgoing emails as shown in the screenshot below.
Enter your local email domain in the field From Domain.
- To save a copy of all outgoing messages in the mailbox of the journal user, you have to set up an action for this event as well.
Step 2: Configuration of MailStore Server
Configure MailStore Server to archive the data stored in the journal mailbox configured in Step 1 using an archiving task of the type Archiving IMAP and POP3 Multidrop Mailboxes.
After archiving, emails can and should be deleted from the journaling mailbox automatically by MailStore Server. The MailStore Server archiving task can be configured accordingly.