Archiving Emails from Zarafa
This implementation guide covers the specifics of archiving Zarafa Server mailboxes. It is assumed that you already have a MailStore Server installation or test installation and are familiar with the fundamentals of MailStore Server. Please refer to the Manual or the Quick Start Guide for more information.
MailStore Server offers several ways to archive emails from Zarafa Server mailboxes, which are described below. If you are not sure which archiving method best suits your company, please refer to the chapter Choosing the Right Archiving Strategy. }
Additionally to the internal user databases, Zarafa may also use SQL databases or LDAP directory services to manage and authenticate users. As MailStore Server also supports Active Directory and other LDAP directory services (e.g. OpenLDAP), it is recommended to set up synchronization in MailStore as well. Additional information on synchronizing users can be found in the corresponding chapters of the MailStore Server manual:
Note: When batch-archiving IMAP mailboxes MailStore Server automatically creates non-existing users. The authentication type of those users will be set to MailStore-integrated.
Archiving Individual Mailboxes
In MailStore Server Zarafa archiving tasks are stored in archiving profiles. By following the procedure described here you can archive a single Zarafa mailbox for a specific MailStore user. The archiving process can be executed manually or automatically. You can find further information about executing archiving profiles in chapter Email Archiving with MailStore Basics.
In order to allow access to Zarafa mailboxes via the IMAP/POP3 protocols, please make sure that the Zarafa Gateway Service is configured and started.
- Users can only archive their own mailboxes to their personal user archive. To archive the emails of other users, you have to be logged on to MailStore Client as MailStore administrator. Only MailStore administrators can archive the emails of other users.
- In MailStore, click on Archive Email.
- To create a new archiving profile, select Other Server via IMAP/POP3 from the Email Servers list in the Create Profile area of the application window.
- A wizard opens guiding you through the setup process.
- Select Single Mailbox and click on OK.
- Fill out the fields Email Address, Host, Access via, User Name and Password. Click on Test to verify the data entered.
- For the IMAP-TLS and IMAP-SSL protocols only: You have the option to ignore SSL security warnings. Generally, these warnings appear if an unofficial certificate is used on the server.
- Click on Next.
- Customize the list of folders to be archived (IMAP only), the filter (IMAP only) and the deletion rules. By default, no emails will be deleted from a mailbox. The timeout value only has to be adjusted as needed (e.g. with very slow servers).
- Click on Next.
- If logged on to MailStore Server as administrator, the target archive can be specified at the next step. Select the archive of the user for whom the mailbox is to be archived.
- At the last step, a name for the new archiving profile can be specified. After clicking on Finish, the archiving profile will be listed under Saved Profiles and can be run immediately, if desired.
Archiving Multiple Mailboxes in One Step
To allow access to the Zarafa mailboxes via the IMAP/POP3 protocol, please make sure that the Zarafa Gateway Service is configured and started.
When archiving multiple mailboxes, the Zarafa server functions the same as any other email server. Please refer to the corresponding chapter Multiple IMAP Mailboxes (CSV File) in main chapter Batch-archiving_IMAP_Mailboxes in the MailStore Server manual.
Archiving Incoming and Outgoing Emails Directly
To send and receive emails, Zarafa depends on a locally installed and configured mail transfer agent. How to set up the archiving process for incoming and outgoing emails depends on the kind of mail transfer agent used. Please refer to Archiving Emails from Linux-based Email Servers for details.