Backup and Restore with Carbonite Server Backup
Preparing Pre- and Post-Backup Scripts
As Carbonite Server Backup has no support for MailStore's VSS writer yet, the MailStore Server service must be stopped before and started again after the backup is actually carried out, in order to ensure data consistency.
For that purpose, two Windows batch scripts must be created in a location that is accessible by Carbonite Server Backup such as C:\MailArchive.
@echo off net start MailStoreServer
@echo off net stop MailStoreServer
It is highly recommended to test both scripts before continuing with the next step.
Creating a New Backup Set in Carbonite Server Backup
After the pre- and post-backup scripts have been successfully tested, a new backup set for MailStore Server can be created. Please proceed as follows:
- Start Carbonite Server Backup on the MailStore Server computer.
- Click on New Backup Set.
- Click on File System.
- Select the folders that contain your archive data.
- The default directory of a MailStore Server archive is C:\MailArchive. If other locations are used (e.g. additional archive stores or network attached storage), make sure to select all of these in Carbonite Server Backup. A full list of directories used by MailStore Server for the Master Database and the Archive Stores can be pulled from Storage Locations.
- Click on Edit in the Advanced backup settings section.
- At Custom Scripts enter the path to the stopMailStoreServer.bat script in Run Before Backup and the path to the startMailStoreServer.bat script in Run After Backup.
- Proceed with the backup set creation by specifying your backup location, creating a backup schedule and adjust the retention settings as well as other advanced backup settings and the email notification preferences.
- Finally enter a name for the new backup set, i.e. MailStore Server Backup.
- Click Save to create the new backup set.