Backup and Restore with Carbonite Server Backup
++++ DRAFT ++++ DRAFT ++++ DRAFT ++++ DRAFT ++++ DRAFT ++++ DRAFT ++++ DRAFT ++++ DRAFT ++++
This article only covers the specifics of creating a consistent backup of a MailStore Server archive with Carbonite Server Backup. It is assumed that you have a MailStore Server installation running with only standard archive stores. Please refer to Backup and Restore for general information about available backup and restore strategies and, if required, how to back up advanced archive stores.
Preparing Pre- and Post-Backup Scripts
In order to ensure data consistency, the MailStore Server service must be stopped before and started again after the backup is actually carried out. for Carbonite Server Backup has the capability to execute programs or scripts particularly for that purpose.
For that purpose, two Windows batch scripts need to be created in a location that is accessible by Carbonite Server Backup such as C:\MailArchive.
@echo off net start MailStoreServer
@echo off net stop MailStoreServer
It is highly recommended to test both scripts before continuing with the next step.
Creating a New Backup Set
After the pre- and post-backup scripts have been successfully tested, a new dedicated backup set with optimized settings for MailStore Server is to be created. This also has the advantage to reduce the time at which the MailStore Server service is unavailable to a minimum. To create a new backup set, please proceed as follows:
- Start Carbonite Server Backup on the MailStore Server computer.
- Click on New Backup Set.
- Click on File System.
- Select the folders that contain your archive data.
- The default directory of a MailStore Server archive is C:\MailArchive. If other locations are used (e.g. additional archive stores or network attached storage), make sure to select all of these in Carbonite Server Backup. A full list of directories used by MailStore Server for the Master Database and the Archive Stores can be pulled from Storage Locations.
- Click on Edit in the Advanced backup settings section.
- Set Compression to Off.
- Configure the Custom Scripts:
- Run Before Backup
Path to the stopMailStoreServer.bat script
- Run After Backup
Path to the startMailStoreServer.bat script
- Run Before Backup
- Proceed with the backup set creation by adjust all other settings to your needs.
- Finally enter a name for the new backup set, i.e. MailStore Server Backup.
- Click Save to create the new backup set.