Moving the Archive
Move MailStore Server installation to a new server?
Q: I want to move my whole MailStore Server installation to a new server. What is the best-practice for this?
A: To migrate MailStore Server to a new machine including all users, settings and emails follow these steps:
- Stop MailStore Server Service on the current machine, either trough the MailStore Basic Configuration or the service control panel
- Copy the directory "MailArchive" and all file-groups that exist on the current machine to the new machine. Directory stucture should be preserved.
- Uninstall MailStore Server on the current machine. Use Add/Remove Programs available in the control panel
- Move the file MailStoreServer.lic (can be found in %programfiles%\deepinvent\MailStore Server\MailStoreServer.lic") to a save location (e.g. USB-Disk) before removing the directory %programfiles%\deepinvent\MailStore Server
- Install MailStore Server on the new machine. Choose "Existing Archive" and select the path to directory where you copied your archive to
- Start Mailstore Server and install MailStoreServer.lic license file
Move archive to external harddisk
Q: It seem that My Archive has filled up my harddisk (C). How can I move it to an external harddisk?
- MailStore Home
- To migrate MailStore Home to a new location:
- Stop MailStore Home
- Copy the archive directory (default in Windows 7: "C:\Users\\Documents\MailStore Home") and all subdirectories to the new location. Directory structure must be preserved. Current directory is shown in the MailStore Home Base Configuration utility
- Run the MailStore Home Base Configuration utility from the start menu and change the directory to the new location.
- Start MailStore Home again.
- There is also a MailStore Home Portable Version available as public beta, which lets you run MailStore Home directly from an external device without the need to install anything.
- MailStore Server
- To migrate MailStore Server to a new location:
- Stop MailStore Server Service, either trough the MailStore Basic Configuration or the service control panel
- Copy the archive directory (default: C:\MailArchive) and all subdirectories to the new location. Directory structure must be preserved.
- Run the MailStore Server Base Configuration utility and change the directory of the "Master Database" to the new location.
- Start MailStore Server Service again.
- Notice: Please be aware, that the throughput of the external harddisk may have a negative impact on the performance of MailStore.
Migrate from MailStore Home to MailStore Home Portable?
Q: I'd like to switch to MailStore Home Portable. How can I use an existing archive from my current MailStore Home installation with MailStore Home Portable?
A: First, determine where the current email archive is located on your hard drive. The easiest way to do so is through Start -> Programs -> MailStore Home -> MailStore Home Configuration.
Copy MailStore Home Portable to the USB hard drive by unzipping the .zip file downloaded earlier. A directory "Application" and a file "MailStoreHomePortable.exe" are created.
Copy the directory of the current email archive to the same place and rename it "Data". You should be able to see the following directories and files on the USB hard drive:
Double-click on MailStoreHomePortable.exe to make sure that everything is in the right place.