- The installation process upgrades the software automatically by uninstalling any previous version first. Administrators will be asked during setup to confirm the uninstallation.
- During the installation process services are automatically stopped and restarted afterwards. Running archiving profiles will be cancelled and may show up as failed. Active user sessions will be terminated. Should stopping the service fail for any reason, please stop the service manually and run the installation again.
- In a multi server environment, upgrade the components in the following order: Management Server, Instance Host, Client Access Server
- Please note the following version specific upgrade notices. Also read the notices from all version numbers between yours and the one you are going to install.
Upgrading to 10.2
For the new responsive Web Access additional branding parameters were introduced. Please review your branding configuration after installing the upgrade. See Branding for the full list of options.
Upgrading to 10.1
- Archiving Emails
If not all attached archive stores are available (State: Archive here, Normal, or Write-Protected), no archiving takes place. Running archiving profiles are terminated with an appropriate message. Under certain circumstances this prevents the creation of duplicate emails while archiving. Therefore verify if an archive store is set to disabled after the upgrade and change it to one of the above states or detach it completely.
Upgrading to Version 10
- Upgrade of Master Database
To facilitate encryption of the master database it is upgraded to Firebird 3 during the first start of an instance and encrypted afterwards. This process might extend the time required for the first start of the instance by several minutes.
- Upgrading Archive Stores
To facilitate encryption the databases of the archive store must be upgraded. Proceed as follows to upgrade:
- Log in to the Management Console.
- Click on Instances
- Select the instance to upgrade
- Open the Storage tab
- Right-click on an archive store and select Perform Upgrade to upgrade a single archive store.
- Carefully read the notices and click on OK to start the upgrade process or click on Cancel.
- Archives of Other Users
These are no longer visible for instance administrators if the Archive Access (formerly knows as E-mail Preview) is blocked. Administrative functions such as deleting or renaming user archives are accessible through Administrative Tools > Users and Archives > Archives in the Email Archive Client.
- Export E-mails
The previous change may also have an impact on export profiles owned by an instance administrator, in case the export scope contains archives of other users. As these are no longer visible to instance administrators if the Archive Access (formerly knows as E-mail Preview) is blocked, they are not taken into account by export profiles.
All activities that are exclusively executable by instance administrators are displayed as Enabled (locked) at Compliance > Auditing. Irrespective of the Disabled status, all activities of instance administrators, excluding MessageRetrieveContent, are written into the audit log.
Upgrading to Version 9.x
- System Requirements
Please ensure that your system configuration matches the updated system requirements. MailStore Service Provider Edition now requires .NET Framework 4.5.1. The E-mail Archive Client and E-mail Archive Add-in for Outlook now require .NET Framework 4.5.1 and Internet Explorer 8 or higher.
- E-mail Archive Client Compatibility
Due to a bug in version 8.5 of the E-mail Archive Client, it cannot update itself to version 9. Therefore re-deployment of version 9 of the E-mail Archive Client is required.
- PDF Support of Full Text Search
PDF support has been removed from MailStore SPE's own indexer. Therefore it is required to either install a recent version of Adobe Reader or an appropriate IFilter driver (i.e. Adobe PDF iFilter on the Instance Host machines.
- MailStore Management API
The Management API is now listening on its own TCP port, 8474 by default. It does no longer support sessions, thus login, logout and cookie handling is no longer required nor supported. HTTP basic authentication must be used instead. Please make sure to modify your scripts accordingly. The API is not enabled by default. You have to activate it in the Management Role.