Firewall Configuration for Multi Server Mode
It is highly recommended to protect any MailStore Service Provider Edition service with appropriate firewall rules. This document should help with setting up the required rules. The firewall rules for running the SPE in Single Server Mode can be found in this document.
- The communication channels described below MUST NOT be intercepted by any kind of email or web proxies that are provided as part of antivirus software or unified threat management gateways.
- The Windows Advanced Firewall is activated on any Windows Server installation by default. In order to connect to services (e.g. MailStore Management Console) of the MailStore Service Provider Edition, it is required that the appropriate firewall rules are added (see below).
The below table lists all TCP ports that need to be opened in the firewall when using MailStore Service Provider Edition in multi server mode. The following abbreviations are used in the source and target columns:
- ANY = Any computer from private or public networks
- ADM = Computer or network used for administration
- CAS = Server hosting Client Access Server role
- IH = Server hosting Instance Host role
- MGMT = Server hosting Management Server role
|110||IH||ANY||Access to email servers for archiving via POP3 (Unencrypted/STARTTLS).|
|143||IH||ANY||Access to email servers for archiving via IMAP (Unencrypted/STARTTLS).|
|143||ANY||CAS||IMAP access to archives secured by TLS (STARTTLS) encryption.|
|389||IH||ANY||Access to LDAP servers (including Microsoft Active Directory) using an unencrypted or STARTTLS-encrypted session.|
|443||IH||ANY||Access to Microsoft Exchange Server for archiving via Exchange Web Services (EWS) secured by SSL encryption.|
|443||ANY||CAS||HTTPS access to instances used by E-mail Archive Client, Outlook Add-in, and MailStore Web Access.|
|443||MGMT||my.mailstore.com||Usage reporting and license update.|
Important: DNS hostname MUST be used in firewall rules due to periodically changing IP addresses of my.mailstore.com.
|636||IH||ANY||Access to LDAP servers (including Microsoft Active Directory) using a SSL encrypted connection.|
|993||ANY||CAS||IMAP access to archives secured by TLS (SSL) encryption.|
|993||IH||ANY||Access to email servers for archiving via IMAP (SSL).|
|995||IH||ANY||Access to email servers for archiving via POP3 (SSL).|
|8470||ADM||MGMT||Web-based access to the MailStore Management Console.|
|8471||CAS, IH||MGMT||Internal communication with Management Server|
|8472||MGMT, CAS||IH||Internal communication with Instance Hosts|
|8473||MGMT||CAS||Internal communication with Client Access Servers|
|8474||ADM||MGMT||Access to the MailStore Management API.|
|8474||IH, CAS||MGMT||Optional: Required for initial pairing with Management Server in Multi Server Mode. If not available, manual registration of Instance Hosts and Client Access Servers in Management Server is required.|